This is the magical command that opens the door to a cave of untold riches in the story of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves in the fabled Arabian Nights tales. Since then the phrase has come to represent any marvellously trusted and effective ways of achieving a result.
Over 1400 years ago Muslims were blessed with the Revelation of the Noble Quraan that was conveyed to us from the lips of the Prophet of Mercy, the key to Paradise and the Spirit of Truth, the Messenger and Delight of Allah Ta'ala, Muhammad (peace be upon him).
The teacher of mankind (peace be upon him) during the month of Shabaan himself gave us the "Open Sesame" key for success and Salvation. Click here to view.
As we approach the final moments of that most joyous moment of the sighting of the crescent of the best of all months with unbridled joy, we make the most earnest of prayers for a spiritually uplifting Ramadaan by His infinite Mercy and that Allah Ta'ala accepts all our Ibadaah and supplications of the blessed month.
We earnestly pray that He accepts the sincere Duas of the SANHA family of officials, staff, family, certified plants and friends to enjoy a fulfilling Ramadaan of prayer and peace, Aameen.
PLEASE NOTE OUR OFFICE TIMES FOR THE MONTH OF RAMADAAN
MON - FRI 08H00 - 16H00
and Traditions of the Prophet
Muhammad (peace be upon him))
Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:
Fasting is a shield. So do not act in an obscene or ignorant fashion. If someone fights or verbally abuses another, he should reply, "I am fasting, I am fasting". By He in Whose Hand my life is, indeed the smell of abstention from the fasting person's mouth is more pleasant to Allah than the fragrance of musk. [Allah says] He leaves his food, drink and desire for My sake. Fasting is for Me and I reward it, and good is [rewarded] tenfold. [al-Bukhari]
Fasting is a shield from Hell and Allah's displeasure. Its reward is so huge, some narrate "and I reward it" as "and I am its reward" which is written the same in Arabic. This shield should not be damaged by any wrong, including consumption of Haraam.
and tested recipes from chefs,
gourmet connoisseurs, contributors
and also from kitchens of our
certified plants for your culinary
the information and make up your
own collection of winning recipes.
PERI PERI CHICKEN LIVERS
Stop clucking around. Rich in iron and Vitamin A, livers can be baked, broiled, fried and made into spreads.
Here is a delightful pan fried recipe that you can cook up in about 15 minutes that will serve 4 people.
- 500g Chicken livers. (look for the SANHA Halaal mark of approval)
- 5 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Cup (250ml) store bought peri-peri sauce - select the heat range for your family.
For a list of SANHA certified sauces click here.
- Heat olive oil or butter over a medium heat.
- Add the chicken livers and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the peri-peri sauce to the chicken livers and allow to cook for another 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve with warm pita bread or Portuguese rolls.
have a recipe to share with
Send in your favourite recipe
and who knows, you could be
our "guest chef"
for a future edition of the
the serious world of Halaal, we take
this moment to bring you a smile, a
chuckle, a hearty laugh and a
lesson. It's therapeutic, so pass it
IT'S ALL RELATIVE
Halaluddin and his wife had been driving many miles down a country road without a single word exchanged between them. An earlier discussion had led to an argument and neither of
them wanted to concede their position.
As they passed a barnyard of mules, goats, cows and a braying ass, all creating a din, Halaluddin turned to his wife and asked in his most sarcastic of tones, “Relatives of yours?”
“Yes” she replied without hesitation, “My dear in-laws”.
One out of every five persons on this planet is a Muslim. He is your neighbour, customer, supplier, employee, boss or friend.
Islamic teachings emphasize the truism of the Oneness of God, the Oneness of Mankind and the Oneness of the Message.
On oneness of mankind Muslims believe that:-
- People are created equal in the sight of Allah. There is no superiority of one over another for any reason except piety and righteousness. Muslims are required to respect the dignity of mankind, regardless of religion, race, nationality, or place of birth, all of mankind are honoured.
- Human diversity is a sign of the richness of Allah's mercy and the beauty of His creation. People are not to be judged on factors that they had no choice over, such as gender, color, size, race, health, etc. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is reported to have said: "Surely Allah does not look at your physical attributes and wealth, but looks at your hearts and your deeds”. (IMAM MUSLIM)
- Islam teaches people to be moderate in their life. Muslims should not give up this life totally for the Hereafter, nor give up the work for the Hereafter totally for this life only.
the Picture - it's Worth a Thousand Words
INTERNATIONAL HALAAL CONVENTION - MALAYSIA
Hundreds of international delegates attended the Government - organised convention with the theme “Unity in Diversity”.
SANHA who is accredited by the Government of Malaysia were in attendance and chaired one of the panel discussions.
Tell Us And We'll
Tell The World
THAT'S THE WAY IT WAS
When the industrial revolution heralded in a momentous era of transformation of the world to one with a better living standard, mass production and technological advances and affluence with the use of labour, it signaled a massive decline of artisanship. The world became too impatient to bother with handcrafted products when one could purchase the mass produced item at a lower price given the scale of the economies of production.
Whether it's in tailoring, food production, specialised craftsmanship services, organic food, furniture etc. there is a steady and growing segment of discerning customers who are turning back to that era of personalization and pride of craftsmanship.
In Gauteng, an upcoming entrepreneur has been making waves and gaining popularity with interior designers with his bespoke products lovingly crafted by a small well-knit team who share this vision.
The entrepreneur Zaheer Moola, featured on Google for his achievements and extensive use of their advertising platform and specialists training stint in Germany, established Z Creations as on online retailer / manufacturer of custom-built bedroom and home furniture. Specializing in the custom-creation of headboards and bedroom furniture to match your tastes, home style and designs, his products have gone to various parts of the country and as far afield as a resort in Mozambique, Zambia and the UK. They pride themselves on their expertise in creating original pieces that match your specifications and design, in the quickest time possible and at competitive prices.
And for personalized service of a bygone era, direct service with no middleman and competitive pricing Z Creations is indeed making its mark in the interior decorating scene.
We are proud to have received their sponsorship of one of their personalized pieces of furniture which could soon be in your home.
They are based in:-
Z Creations, Unit 9, 11 Jupiter Road, Crown Mines, Johannesburg
Phone 011 681 6179
Mobile 082 346 0080
See our Competition/Giveaway column for details.
Mysterious Spice and all
discovery column of spectacular spices,
fabulous fruits, incredible ingredients,
vital vegetables, marvelous minerals and
A natural gelling and thickening agent and stabilizer found in ripe fruit. Mainly extracted from citrus fruits such as blackberries, apples, red currants and strawberries. Pectin is an important ingredient in making jams and jellies. It is also used in dessert fillings, medicines, sweets, as a stabilizer in fruit juices and milk drinks and as a source of dietary fibre. It is possible to buy pectin as a liquid extract or in powdered form. On ready-made jams and jellies it’s labelled as E440.
Coniglio Rabbit Meat Farm (Pty) Ltd
...due to fraudulent use of our Halaal logo
Exercise Extreme Caution!!!
Mochachos & Bacinis, CRYSTAL MALL, Ext 6, Eldorado Park, Gauteng
Halaal certification of the above stores have been terminated due to change of ownership.
Kindly Exercise Restraint!!
Girasol Sunflower Oil
IJ Oil Traders CC
SANHA LOGO FRAUD!
...has used the SANHA Halaal logo fraudulently.
The above product is NOT certified by SANHA.
Kindly Take Note!!!
OLA ICE CREAM IMPORTS
THE FOLLOWING NEWLY LAUNCHED OLA IMPORTED PRODUCTS ARE NOT CERTIFIED HALAAL:
- Ola Feast Bar
- Cornetto Multipack Classico
- Cornetto Multipack Strawberry
Kindly ensure that all Ola ice cream products purchased carry the SANHA Halaal logo.
Any queries pertaining to the above or any other aspect of Halaal may be referred to our offices.
HALAAL HELPLINE 0861 786 111
Health and Beauty
Look good - feel good. Tips
for a sound mind in a sound body
A LIST OF SIMPLE TIPS TO KEEP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HEALTHY AND HAPPY ALL THROUGH THE HOLY MONTH OF RAMADAAN
- Drink 8 glasses of water daily from Iftaar to Sehri to prevent dehydration and constipation.
- Sleep for 6-8 hours a day to get sufficient mental and physical rest. Less sleep means you will feel tired during the day which in turns leads to less productivity and activity.
- Have a balanced varied Iftaar which incorporates dates, soup, salad, a main dish, fruits and a small piece of Ramadaan sweet.
- Walk or participate in some kind of physical activity.
- Have Sehri to fill your body with energy and help regulate your blood sugar.
AND UNHEALTHY HABITS TO AVOID
- Try not to drink excess fluids at night for fear of thirst during the day. This will lead to abdominal distress.
- Don’t eat a wide variety of food at night or Sehri especially foods high in fat, thinking that they will prevent hunger pangs during the day.
- Avoid eating large amounts of food at Iftaar which will lead to extreme fullness.
- Try and avoid having a large quantity of starters and sweets which will lead to weight gain.
TIP: HYDRATE YOUR BODY DURING RAMADAAN!
Fluids are very important for the health and vitality of your body during the fasting period and it is important to drink plenty of water, in addition to other refreshing drinks.
Questions & Answers
Q. Are there any Hotels certified by SANHA in South Africa?
A. Yes, the following Hotels / B&Bs catering services are certified by SANHA:
10 - 2nd Avenue, Houghton Estate, Houghton, Gauteng Tel: +2711 853 2400 Southern Light Country House, 24 Hohenort Avenue, Constantia, Western Cape Tel: +27 21 794 4500
Q. Are Lennon Strong Calciferol tablets Halaal?
ALennon Strong Calciferol tablets contain bovine gelatine sourced from Non-Halaal slaughtered animals. However, in such instances where no suitable effective alternatives are available and an Islamically aware Muslim medical practitioner prescribes same, then such medication may be administered based on 'need'.
Vitamins, minerals and any non-essential medication (beauty enhancing capsules, non-essential supplements etc.) are NOT included in this conditional concession.
Q. I see the ingredient stearate used in many products. Is this ingredient Halaal?
A. Indeed this is a common ingredient found in products across the board. Different combinations and variations of this ingredient are used in the manufacture of medication, cosmetics, bakery and confectionery items etc.
This ingredient may be sourced from animals, plants or synthesized thus its status depends on the source of derivation which may be obtained from the manufacturer/supplier.
Synthetically made or vegetable derived stearates are Halaal suitable.
Recently Certified List
SANHA certifies over 1400
establishments ranging from large
multi-nationals to many proudly
South African enterprises including
congratulate the following for
being awarded the coveted SANHA
Halaal Mark of Assurance:
Chesa Nyama Carletonville, Shop 58, Carletonville Mall, Station Road, Carletonville, Gauteng - Restaurant
- Mugg & Bean On The Move - Total Klerksdorp, Cnr N12 & Central Avenue, Flamwood, Klerksdorp, North West - Restaurants
- Future Cast Trading 1067 C.C. Unit 24b, Frame Park, Chiselhurst. East London. Eastern Cape - Beverages - Concentrates, Pulps and Puree's
- Tea Time Cakes Unit 1,2 & 3 Westwing, N4 Gateway Industrial Park, Willow Park Manor, Pretoria East. Gauteng - Bakery - Bulk Manufacturer
- Packman, 8 Cam Crescent, Robertville. Florida, Gauteng - Culinary Products - Spices & Condiments & Toll Packers
- Debonairs Pizza, Shop 2 Matrix Building. Wits Univesity-East Campus. Braamfontein. JHB Gauteng - Restaurants
- Roco Mamas, Shop 30 Melrose Arch. Building EF 25b, The Piazza. 30 Melrose Boulevard. Sandton, Gauteng - Restaurants
- Debonairs, Shop G 2&4 Reservoir Hills Mall, Reservoir Hills, Durban, KZN - Restaurant
- Fishaways, Shop G 2&4 Reservoir Hills Mall, Reservoir Hills, Durban, KZN - Restaurant
- Atlantis Seafood Products (Pty) Ltd t/a Supapackers, 169 Neil Hare Road, Atlantis Industrial, Cape Town - Culinary Products
- Retrolex Logistix CC, Unit 10 & 14, Garnet Park, Drill Road, Montague Gardens, Cape Town - Logistix & Distribution
- SK Chemtrade Services(Pty) Ltd, 8 Platinum Crescent, Montague Gardens, Cape Town - Flavour House
- VM Bottle Printers & Fillers. 8 Augusta Road, Regents Park. Gauteng - Beverages, Bottled Water
- Grand Butcher Shoppe. Plot 29, Gazelle Rd. Rispark. Gauteng - Poultry Distributors
- Magalies Fruit Packers. Buffelsfontein, 465 Mooinooi, Western Cape - Fruit and Vegetable Products
- Debonairs Pizza - Ennerdale Shopping Centre - 16 Marais Close, 34 Town Road, Ennerdale Shopping Centre, Ennerdale, Gauteng - Restaurant
- Farm Style, 314 Bramaputra Ave, Ext A, Lenasia, Gauteng - Bakery - Ingredient Supplier (Home Industry) Savouries
- Mighty Soft - 22 Marshall Street, Westgate, JHB, Gauteng - Bakery - Bulk Manufacturer Buns & Rolls
- Rits And Alles Trading - 19 Aitken Rd, Sebenza, Edenvale, Gauteng - Bakery- Ingredient Supplier Dry Powdered Blends
For a detailed list of SANHAcertified establishments and other queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
DOMINO'S 14 000TH STORE
Every now and again a stat surfaces where you have to stop and smell the coffee – in this case dough and melting cheese.
Incredibly, the global brand which has established outlets in 85 countries with global retail sales of over 11 Billion US Dollars has surpassed 14 000 stores.
In South Africa the Halaal stores of Domino’s have chosen SANHA certification.
Competition / Giveaway
GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TESTING (GTT)
So you have over-indulged lately and
forgot your resolution to
get fit in 2017. You feel tired and
hungry all the time?
SANHA and Bloodline
Laboratories get you started. Win
one of 50 Glucose Tolerance Tests,
each valued at R150.00 that will
give you and your doctor conclusive
evidence whether you are diabetic or
not. You get peace of mind and can take
these two simple questions:-
is the chairman of SANHA?
- What is
the address of Bloodline
e-Bulletin No. 92 & 89) for
clues on questions 1 and 2 respectively.
Competition closing date:
31st May 2017
Send your answers to
To qualify, the
subject line must read:
& C's apply. Click here to
FABULOUS PRIZE FROM Z CREATIONS
THE COMPETITION THAT PUTS YOU ON A PEDESTAL
One lucky reader can win a handcrafted high quality pedestal with drawers valued at around R2000.00 from one of Gauteng’s upcoming designers of bespoke bedroom furniture.
Select your prize from one of two customised designs viz the Jalaal and Jannal. Click here for detailed design, colour and size details - http://www.zcreations.co.za/custom-made-pedestals.
All you have to do is answer two simple questions and send in your entry for the lucky draw.
- Name 2 categories of furniture (besides pedestals) that are manufactured by Z Creations?
- What are SANHA’s office hours for Ramadaan?
Competition closing date
15th September 2017.
Send an e-mail to email@example.com
To qualify the subject line must read
(T & C’s applies)
Winner to collect prize from the sponsor’s premises. Arrangements can be made for item to be transported within the country at the winners cost.